18 August 2007

#18 Zoho

This is a test post from Zoho Writer to see if it works. If it does, I will be very impressed.
It didn't. It refused to recognise my username and password, even when I opened up another tab and logged into my journal using the selfsame rejected username and password.

Oh well.

Even more impressive is the fact that I have found Web 2.0 technology that seems incredibly useful! Mind you, I actually found out about Zoho and some of the other gadgets last year or the year before as a way around the perennial complaint from our users that they can't word-process because we don't have Word installed on our computers. I think I found Zoho because I felt sorry for one of them. I have found that I don't really broadcast its existence to all and sundry, however, for fear that our already chronic problem with people spending far too long glued to the computer screen would become even worse.

Anyway, this is a Web 2.0 application that seems really useful. It offers the online collaboration that I thought was nifty with a Wiki, while also offering much simpler and more intuitive formatting, etc. Document sharing would be really easy, and if you don't want to share, it's just a good way of keeping stuff you need to use all the time in a place that you can access from anywhere with an internet connection. Kind of like a remote backup server for your essential documents. Not sure you'd want to put up something terribly private or personal.

I will probably use it a bit more (now that I've got round to signing up) for creating documents that I can port between my desk and the reference desks. I've already used it to compose an email that I'll be sending out later - its interface is a lot nicer than that of the web-based Lotus, which is way clunky.

And just because I could, I also created my own wiki. I have no plans to really develop it, but I wanted to play around with it and see how easy it was. I reckon it's way easier than the software the PBMLCLCBCL (or whatever the acronym is) used. Though I suppose I already know enough html to be able to put in links, if I didn't it might be more of a challenge.

About my only gripe (come on, you know I had to have one) is that occasionally the cursor seems to do odd things. But it's a very minor gripe. I'm very impressed, and that's hard to do!

Still impressed, but couldn't get that whole blog feature to work. Honestly though, I can't see that it will matter much as if I want to keep posting to a blog, I'm perfectly happy to log into the blog and compose it on that software.

1 comment:

Arvind said...

Marian : Thanks for using Zoho Writer and glad that you like it!

Sorry that you faced the issue of not being able to post to your blog from Zoho Writer. This blog post explains how to post to your blog. Can you try posting once again?

Do write to us at feedback(at)zohowriter(dot)com if you still have issues.

Arvind
http://zoho.com